Sunday, October 08, 2006

K~ Reading????


For those of you who like pictures, this LONG blog did not have any, so I put in an illustration of my dads. He's kind of gifted in drawing, wouldn't you say?? It's a bat.

Reading and worrying.

Can you believe that I have been reading ... A lot! Those of you who know me, know I didn't care for reading much, that is, until I found books I enjoyed reading.

Of course, true to my nature, I am worried that maybe I am reading too much drivel. How can I turn a relaxing hobby into a worry. I guess I am gifted. I have finished my 18th book last night. It was very good and had a little of everything in it. I tried to download my book list, but couldn't do it successfully.

I really like the historical fiction books. I like the challenging ones, but, if feel too challenged by them at this point. Too much re-reading. I always find myself saying " Who was that?" "Wow, they must have been important to spend a chapter on them, hmmm, I don't remember them?"

Then I realized, that I need to read lighter books of the same type. Having the constant interruption of kids or dozing off at 1 am, can confuse a fragile mind like mine. I have picked up where I left off (or at least where I put the book mark) and have NO idea what's going on. I have to go back sometimes 10 pages or so. In any case, I have done quite nicely with my reading.

Who said that you can't teach old dogs new tricks. So of these books are 400+ pages!! Oh, and no pictures : ) !

Authors that are light and easy: Bob Tarte (non fiction - Enslaved by ducks), Elizabeth Peters ( some are historical fiction mysteries - Amelia Peabody series), Dorothy Gilman (mysteries), Laura Ingles Wilder (yes "Little house on the Prairie") - those really put into perspective how lazy one can be in any given day. Just check out what Ma gets to do in her "spare time"!

An author that are a medium read: Ellis Peters (historical fiction mysteries)- she writes in a language that is close to the period in which she writes, the 1100's. So if you can get through that and the names at 11 PM, it is relaxing. I do really like her stuff.

Challenging Authors: Elliot Patison (historical fiction mysteries), Very interesting, don't read unless you can devote some time of awake and quite. Lots of hard names, etc. I read the Skull Mantra. Very good. Took me FOREVER!!

Lastly: It appears I only read authors that have the initials EP. I don't know why.

K~

2 comments:

bobbione8y said...

you and phil are alike. he is reading a historical fiction book about Paul from the bible. i always say "i either want it real, or not real, and not both!" to him.

then again, it's the historical part that i cannot quite get :)

i still read mostly magazines. i am lazy. right now i am trying to read an autobiography of Nick Sparks (he wrote the Notebook) and it's hard to read more than a few pages without falling asleep. perhaps it's because i need to be reclining when i read. or maybe, i'm just addicted to reading blogs when i am actually awake ;))

bobbi

Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning my book, "Enslaved By Ducks." Look for the sequel, "Fowl Weather," in March 2007.

Give my best to Puff.